Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 0

Transplant day! I've heard a lot of people refer to this as their new birthday. These people need to get over their forced jargon-driven optimism. Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped, just a little deflated from yesterday. I've been on a particular drug for the last three days that is designed to kill off my T cells so that my body doesn't try and reject the new donor cells. The first night of this was a doozy. Lots of vomiting, lots of pain... the death rattle of my T cells. The next day was significantly better, since there was no one left to put up a fight. Just when i thought that was over, i had some delayed reactions yesterday. Namely, a head to toe rash. The good side was that it was mostly just itchy. The bad side was that it set the souls of my feet ablaze. So i spent the majority of my day laid up, covered in steroid creams, trying not to itch. 100 % better today, feet still a little tender. sneezed this morning and pulled something in my back, so i'm on the happy juice right now. fyi, the transplant involves no procedure or anything. its just like a blood transfusion. i have a port in my shoulder with three different lines in it and that's how they give me everything, so they will just inject the donor cells through it over a few hours. okay, will update when i know more.

2 comments:

  1. souls=soles. but i like to think that my feet have souls, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to congratulate you on two things:

    1. for already offering some very nice cynicism in line #2. well played.

    2. you know those pictures of jesus in black & white where you stare at it for 30 seconds, then stare at a white wall and you see jesus? that's what your blog does to my eyes... i currently see reversed black type all over my office wall.... again, well played...

    alright man, keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete